Halloween is almost here, so tis the season when you'll have parents looking for books that their kids can carry in their school costume parades! Instead of schools straight-up celebrating Halloween (like they might have done when you were a kid), they just will have kids dress like their favorite book characters, and carry the book that their costume is based on in their costume parades.
Unfortunately for some parents, they'll pick the costume first, and then pick the book. A couple of years ago, I had a mom who was out of luck since she dressed her kid as Mario Mario (of the Mario Bros.) but we didn't have any books on Mario! The closer we get to Halloween, the more frantic they'll get. I want to remind everyone that the "flimsies" or 8x8 books/beginning readers are a great place to look for popular characters like the Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Disney characters etc.
Let's have some fun! In the comments, share either:
1. your favorite childhood Halloween costume, and the book you'd carry in your school's costume parade if you were a student in school today.
OR
2. a character that someone has looked for at your library! Bonus points if it's unusual :)
Don't forget to put your name and location-if you share before the October youth meeting, you'll get a prize at the meeting!
-Sara
my costume game was not quite up to my current standards when I was younger, but I did go as a yellow crayon at least one year, which would be perfect to pair with The Day the Crayons Quit -Angela
ReplyDeleteOnce character I dressed up as on more than one occasion was Pippi Longstocking (the author is Astrid Lindgren). I loved wearing mismatched socks and carrying a monkey stuffed animal around with me all day. And my mom figured out how to make my braids stick out using wires, which I thought was just fabulous!
ReplyDeleteTara (Park Place)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite Halloween costume as a kid was Raggedy Ann. I had a massive Raggedy Ann Doll that was half my size when I was a little kid so it seemed like a great costume idea to me. I didn't know the characted was based on a book til I became a librarian... I just loved the doll. But obviously if I were a child today in that costume I'd be taking the book Raggedy Ann and Andy.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite childhood Halloween costume was Darkman, from the 1990 Liam Neeson action/horror film of the same name. Imagine a nine year old kid wrapped up like a mummy in a trench coat with burned flesh makeup underneath his bandages. It was adorrible. (That's horrifying and adorable) As for what book I would pick for a parade if I was a kid today, probably Crankenstein. Shouting MEEEEHHHRRRR!-Drew PLE/TUT
ReplyDeleteI liked the vampire costume a lot, nothing super unusual. If I walked around with a book at school today it would be a book of Greek Mythology.
ReplyDelete