Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Reading Resolutions

Has anyone made a New Year's Resolution involving reading?

Last year, I really slacked on my recreational reading (I did read a lot of picture books, though!) I love reading YA books,  but I think I read maybe 4 last year 😿

This year, I'm using Goodreads to track my reading, and I decided to set some reading goals. My reading goals are to read:

1. All of the Bluebonnets for 2017-2018
2. All of the Lone Star books for 2017
3. The TAYSHAS top 10 books for 2017
4. All of the 2x2 books for 2017

I like reading from the book lists, as they make me a better reader's adviser, and I become more knowledgeable about books that kids/teens are going to ask for in our collection. 

If you aren't using Goodreads, I highly recommend it! It's so easy to add books to different lists, and while I rarely write reviews, I do like rating the books to remember which books I liked, and which books I REALLY liked. I also love that I can create my own lists (or shelves), so I have categorized books into 2017 Bluebonnets, 2017 Lone Star, etc.

Share your reading resolutions in the comments! If you share, you'll get a prize at the January youth meeting (don't forget to put your name and location on your comment!)

-Sara

14 comments:

  1. My goal is to read more. The last couple of years I haven't been reading as much as previous years so this year I am going to try to do the YALSA Hub Challenge! It's super intensive, so we will see how it does! -- Jayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mu goal this year is to step out of my reading comfort zone. I plan to try to complete the POPSUGAR 2017 Reading Challenge. It's a 40 book challenge with an option to add 12 more books from their advance list. Hopefully I'll be able to complete a majority of the challenge.-Kiara

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goal this year is to get myself out of the reading slump I had last year. It was terrible! I was only able to read two books from beginning to end (picture books don't count ;D )and those books took me several weeks to finish. Here's to a book filled new year! - nhu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan on trying to read some of the lesser known or older fantasy YA series. I have had a difficult time reading kids fiction for the last several years, but it's well worth reading the award books if you can. Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reading goal will remain at 100 books for the year but with a little tweak! I normally read adult fiction and non-fiction and skim through the YA books and Children's chapter books. This year I plan to read more YA books and Children chapter books all the way to the end and I will not include the audio books in my count. I have switched from my antiquated excel spreadsheet and I have began to use the good reads app. I will read at least one new author a month. I will also read one Manga and one Graphic Novel per month. Happy Reading to All! - Twanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmmmm.....What a great idea, reading all the current year Bluebonnets and Lone Stars! I've always just read the ones I thought looked interesting, but, I think I will take on the challenge of reading them all for 2017. Thanks for the motivation! - Norola

    ReplyDelete
  7. My New Years Resolutions for reading are modest. Read the ALA award winners this year. It's all I feel like I can commit to at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My resolution is to put down books that aren't worth it. Often I find myself stuck with a book that looked interesting but is not holding my interest. In the past, I would try to slog through it, but life is too short! -Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy Pearl says “If you still don't like a book after slogging through the first 50 pages, set it aside. If you're more than 50 years old, subtract your age from 100 and only grant it that many pages.”

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow a blog where they do reading wildly. They pick a genre a month. The last posting was for November though and it had suggestions for gentle teen reads which includes Christian fiction and books for younger kids reading above their grade level. LE at Cen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really do NYE Resolutions, but I have been reading more nonfiction and specifically books that "feed my mind". I set aside the psych thrillers and started reading more nonfiction titles like "The Secret". - Amethyst STE

    ReplyDelete