While I have been known to throw down some Wiggles in storytime on occasion, I am all about broadening the musical horizons of both kids and caregivers. As long as it’s kid-appropriate, you can share music from many time periods and genres. I use songs during storytime, of course, to dance and sing to, and I make playlists for playtime as well. I also try to have music playing during other programs, like crafts. On that note (pun intended!), here are some of my favorite resources for music:
Spare the Rock
A fabulous radio show that plays in Austin but is also available online.
From their website: “The show plays “indie music for indie kids,” including the best of music aimed at kids (like Dan Zanes, Moona Luna, Ella Jenkins, Elizabeth Mitchell, Lunch Money, Caspar Babypants, and They Might Be Giants) right along side kid-friendly tracks from the likes of The Ramones, Mike Doughty, Ella Fitzgerald, Brian Eno, Pizzicato Five, Andrew Bird, Fishbone, and more.” Right up my alley. Also it led me to a totally rockin’ tribute album to David Bowie called Let All the Children Boogie.
My Own Personal Music Collection
Don’t overlook your own favorites! Again, as long as they’re kid-appropriate, it’s totally cool to play your faves. Plus the kids will see how much you love them and it will help them get excited. Also, it’s totally okay to bring back the hits from your own childhood. For instance: Raffi is timeless. And often caregivers think it’s a hoot to hear songs that they heard as kids.
World Music
Get some other languages and rhythms in there! Putumayo kids is a great place to start.
Disney Movies
I am not above playing the Moana soundtrack to gain cheap cool points. Also, can we all agree that “How Far I’ll Go” is a huge earworm? (It’s stuck in your head now, isn’t it?)
Freegal
Freegal is a great thing to refer caregivers to, since a lot of them play music on their phones and it’s easier to download via freegal than play an audio cd. As long as they have a library card, they get 5 hours of streaming music per day and 5 MP3 song downloads per week. Some rad artists you can find on Freegal: Caspar Babypants, Laurie Berkner, They Might Be Giants, Sesame Street
Some of my favorite kids’ artists/albums that I haven’t mentioned yet:
Songs from Sesame Street
Usher’s ABCs, anyone!? (we love jammin’ to this in preschool storytime)
The Muppets: Green Album
Highlights: Weezer & Hayley Williams’ Rainbow Connection, Andrew Bird’s Bein’ Green
For Our Children
This is an album I listened to so much as a child that I broke the cassette tape. It is old, so it’s not in our catalog, but I checked and you can ILL it. Trust me, Little Richard’s Itsy Bitsy Spider will change your life. The sequel, For Our Children Too!, is not quite as good but has some gems like Seal singing Puff (The Magic Dragon) and Cher covering A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes.
Old Town School of Folk Music
Ms. Renee Benson introduced me to the Milkshake Song and baby time would also transform into a mad dance party when we sang it. Also, I used their Row, Row, Row Your Boat during our Boats Afloat toddler storytime, and it was such a big hit that now we dance along to it every week.
Leave a comment with some of your favorite music to share in storytimes or to have in the background during other programs!
- Angela @ COL

You are a godsend, Anglea! I have been trying to come up with new music for my Dance Party program this summmer. I am DEFINITELY using Usher's ABC as part of it. - Jayla
ReplyDeletewoooo! love that song so much
DeleteLoved the music tips Angela! I have an account with Pandora Internet Radio and I enjoy using "Alvin and the Chipmunks" station for background sounds for my Story Times. The kids love it as well!
ReplyDeleteawesome! I use google playlists, since I subscribe personally
DeleteAngela, Thank You So Much for this information! Eric Litwin (Pete the Cat and The Nuts) has some awesome free music downloads that I will sometimes use during story times for a little dance workout. The children like China McClain, Zootopia sound track (Shakiria, Try Everything) or anything Disney, which I normally play during arts and crafts. I find that it inspires creativity.
ReplyDeleteI love "Try Everything"!! So catchy. Thanks for the tip about Eric Litwin! I will have to check that out
DeleteThanks for mentioning children's music on Freegal! I hadn't thought of using them for kids music.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the music suggestions! I'm a big fan of anything Jim Gill! "Silly Dance Contest," "Jumping and Counting," and "Hands Are For Clapping" were always big hits when I did storytime.
ReplyDeleteI've also used Spotify for background music/storytime songs, as well.
Oh yes. Jim Gill is a treasure.
DeleteWhen I was at Heights, I had some "preshow music" and I'd also play the same music during craft time for Pre-K and Toddler time. It was a playlist I had on an iPod, and I don't remember all the songs (my iPod was stolen when my car was broken into and my purse stolen) but I did have Polyphonic Spree's Light & Day/Reach for the Sun on it, because how can you listen to that song and not be put into a good mood! I love the soaring instrumental and the full chorus sound. Reach for the sun!
ReplyDeleteFor Baby Storytime, I liked to feature some of our Rockabye Baby cds as preshow music, and I would bring a bunch of them in (to try to move the cd collection and make people aware that we have music for babies!)
I used to use my iPod too but it is too old to function now :(
DeleteI will definitely have to add some Polyphonic Spree to my rotation!