There are a number of blog posts about making catapults using craft sticks and rubber bands (links below). I hot glued bottle caps at our program, but in some of the blogs they used spoons instead or even masking tape instead of rubber bands. Most of the kids made the simpler catapult I had an example of and I showed them how to make it, but I told them they could make it however they wanted or make adjustments to it, which some of them did. I also put out markers so they could write their names and decorate if they wanted to. Once the catapult was finished, they were cleared to go to the launch zone, which was a table I'd stuck printed number signs showing the number of inches and a start sign on and had fluff balls and poms for them to launch. They were all really good about only launching those items and I had kids from every age group excited about it and participating.
DIY Catapult posts & instructions:
Easy (and Fun) Catapult for Kids to Make
STEM Activity for Kids: Popsicle Stick Catapults
Popsicle Stick Catapult for Kids STEM Activity
- Kristin McWilliams @ PLE
Do you have something you'd like to share on the YS Blog? Send it to Rebecca and Sara!


This is awesome! I love it :)
ReplyDeleteexcellent use of Monty Python gif
ReplyDelete