This summer I decided to try out thematic playtime for our summer reading program. It has taken a little adjusting, from both the staff and patron perspective, but it has yielded pretty positive results. I found a recipe online that is super simple and super easy to use! All you need is flour, water, salt, and food coloring!
The recipe is:
- 1 cup flour,
- 2 1/2 cups of water,
- 2 tablespoons of salt.
- Heat the water with medium heat until almost boiling.
- Slowly add flour to water, whisking to get rid of lumps.
- Let cool.
- Once cool, add food coloring and mix.
- Add to baby food jars or the like.

The parents in my classes really liked having books and songs included in the playtime (hence the part about taking some adjusting on both ends). I compromised and added a short 10 - 15 minute storytime before each program. I read one book related to the "theme" of the week. For example, during the painting baby class we read Animal Colors Touch and Feel board book and in the toddler class we read I Dream of an Elephant by Ami Rubinger. We sing at least 3 three songs: an opening song, an action song, and a simple rhyme. These songs are repeated during the week, but I will change them up if it is really pertinent to the theme.
I set up the room by taping down three LONG pieces of butcher paper. One of the volunteers at Robinson had that idea of setting up a table on it's side and taping paper to it to make a sort of stand up canvas! It's good to always throw in some early literacy tips so that parents understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.
For the most part, the response has been really positive! However, I do think toddlers enjoyed it much more than babies. Baby parents seemed more weary of getting babies dirty and of the paint than toddler parents. So far our play times have included playing with blocks and play-dough. Next week, we are doing a play time centered all around BUBBLES! It's sure to be a FANTASTIC time. :-)
- Jayla



love it! I have been wanting to do a baby/toddler art program but it will probably have to wait till after summer :)
ReplyDelete