I would like the library to plan more volunteer opportunities for teens, that go beyond shelving books. I believe the library can provide teens opportunities to learn about social justice by spearheading programs such as food drives, reading book marathons. Perhaps teach teens how to use audio visual materials to create their own documentaries? -Jesus@OAK
So a lot of this is my rambling out ideas, but these are things I have thought about for libraries/youth system. Just putting this out there, but I believe we have to cater to the teens, so maybe we can start a public blog to get their opinions and see what they want out of our programs. We could also offer opportunities to provide things like testing strategies, and life hacks, close to May for those that are getting ready to graduate and go off on their own, or planning to take SATs for universities. We could also offer computer classes that are geared towards learning programs, like how to navigate programs like Blackboard or library sites for research. (Also if we had a public blog we would be able things like webinars and stuff like that on there if they would to be interested in them). I would also like to see teens being proactive within clubs, and activities, so have something like a president/vice president in those areas. Also in clubs like book clubs having a P/VP would help with catering to what they want to read, and also helping leading discussions, and it would have a teen face to it rather than a superior/teacher/librarian. I think this would also make teens more willing to come into programs if they see that their peers are leading the charge. We could also implement something where they have the opportunity to reach out to the community, maybe for volunteering hours, something to pop-up Storytime, or planting trees for community parks. I think we should also have them kind of contribute to ‘decorating’ the teen/community areas, maybe by hosting artworks or writing/reading competition ‘winners’. ~ Alexandria @ ALI
I've actually always wanted to do a teen-run book review blog! This Mission Viejo Library in California has a blog called "Teen Voice" and it's primarily reviews, and I think it's really well done. It'd be awesome to have something like that for HPL! (Vanessa @ FrankenMeyer)
I loved the teen creative writing contest that was held over the summer/fall and I would love to see that become a regular program. I think it would be cool to have enough submissions, along with artwork to put together a Zine (I know I am dating myself now) which would include a digital version we could put on the blog and on our social media. (Drew @ PLE/TUT/BLU)
I would like the library to plan more volunteer opportunities for teens, that go beyond shelving books. I believe the library can provide teens opportunities to learn about social justice by spearheading programs such as food drives, reading book marathons. Perhaps teach teens how to use audio visual materials to create their own documentaries?
ReplyDelete-Jesus@OAK
So a lot of this is my rambling out ideas, but these are things I have thought about for libraries/youth system. Just putting this out there, but I believe we have to cater to the teens, so maybe we can start a public blog to get their opinions and see what they want out of our programs. We could also offer opportunities to provide things like testing strategies, and life hacks, close to May for those that are getting ready to graduate and go off on their own, or planning to take SATs for universities. We could also offer computer classes that are geared towards learning programs, like how to navigate programs like Blackboard or library sites for research. (Also if we had a public blog we would be able things like webinars and stuff like that on there if they would to be interested in them). I would also like to see teens being proactive within clubs, and activities, so have something like a president/vice president in those areas. Also in clubs like book clubs having a P/VP would help with catering to what they want to read, and also helping leading discussions, and it would have a teen face to it rather than a superior/teacher/librarian. I think this would also make teens more willing to come into programs if they see that their peers are leading the charge. We could also implement something where they have the opportunity to reach out to the community, maybe for volunteering hours, something to pop-up Storytime, or planting trees for community parks. I think we should also have them kind of contribute to ‘decorating’ the teen/community areas, maybe by hosting artworks or writing/reading competition ‘winners’.
ReplyDelete~ Alexandria @ ALI
I've actually always wanted to do a teen-run book review blog! This Mission Viejo Library in California has a blog called "Teen Voice" and it's primarily reviews, and I think it's really well done. It'd be awesome to have something like that for HPL! (Vanessa @ FrankenMeyer)
ReplyDeleteI loved the teen creative writing contest that was held over the summer/fall and I would love to see that become a regular program. I think it would be cool to have enough submissions, along with artwork to put together a Zine (I know I am dating myself now) which would include a digital version we could put on the blog and on our social media. (Drew @ PLE/TUT/BLU)
ReplyDelete