This week's blog is brought to you by Tara Hornbeak!
If you’d like to do face painting but don’t feel like you
have the time or the ability, here’s an awesomely simple trick we stumbled upon
here at Park Place that you’ll love! All it takes is some simple supplies,
which you probably already have laying around your branch: acrylic paint,
paintbrushes, and stamps. Acrylic paint is generally cheaper than face paint,
there are SO many color options, and parents like how easily it washes off!
Here are the steps… are you ready…?
1. Apply paint to the stamp.
2. Stamp the child’s face (or hand).
That’s it! It’s easy enough for volunteers to do, and staff
who generally might not feel artistically inclined will be proud of their
new-found talents. Do it at the end of a storytime, during an outreach, as part
of your After School Zone… whenever! The kids will be thrilled. Happy painting!
-Tara




Hi Tara! I absolutely love this idea!
ReplyDeleteI am a face painter and just wanted to give some information. Acrylic paint contains pigments that are considered toxic for the skin. It should not be used for face painting. Even if it says "non-toxic" that doesn't mean it's safe for the skin. Some acrylic paints also contain nickle which could irritate the skin and cause a rash.
I would recommend using only face paint or at the very least tempera.
Yikes, I've never heard that about acrylics! I'll have to look more into it. Fortunately we've never had any negative reactions. Thanks for the heads-up.
DeleteVery cool idea, especially if you don't have a steady hand. But I probably would use tempera. Thanks.
ReplyDelete