
I read the book, then gave the kids shapes to base their art on. I also collected a bunch of leaves and twigs from the neighborhood behind our library so they could use those as a starting point as well.
This was my creation. Kids guesses of what it is: tree, stump, leaf. Clearly I have a future in the fine arts.
A couple of the kids made some cool stuff out of their shapes, but one of them really latched on to the nature theme and just wanted to make rubbings. He was having such a good time that he inspired my passive craft program for the Saturday after the Thanksgiving holiday.
I went for a walk over the holiday and picked up a lot of cool leaves and sticks from around my parents’ neighborhood. (Hooray for free supplies!) Then I picked out all of our naked crayons and put everything artfully on a table outside our kids’ room. I also left out an example.
I made a little sign in picmonkey, letting people know what it was all about:
If I had to change anything it would be to have some sort of direction about how to do a leaf rubbing. I guess I expected at least the caregivers to know how, but I had to show several people how to rub the crayon horizontally. By the end of the day there were leaves strewn about the table and floor, but it was an easy clean. For the minimal effort put in, this was a very satisfying passive program.
What kind of passive programs do you run? I want to hear about them!
- Angela Barratt @ COL


That is definitely a squirrel and a cute one too!
ReplyDeleteOne year I did a scavenger hunt in the library for the kids that was a week long passive program. The paper had rhyming sentencing and each sentence lead them to the next clue. The final clue got them to where they would find little slip of papers that they would take to the front desk to claim their prize (candy).
So cool! Scavenger hunts are bomb.
DeleteI am definitely going to check out the Frida book. One passive program I did was to lay out the shapes for a jack o lantern. I made pumpkin die cuts and cut out triangles for eyes and mouth and put glue sticks and markers for them to decorate the pumpkin. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea!
Delete