Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Sweet Bulletin Boards

I love December’s Sweet Reads theme and felt like this would be fun opportunity to do an interactive Bulletin Board with the Candy Land game as the star of the show!


I used the Game board die cut to create the spaces to land on, slicing and dicing with scissors and a glue stick to have them create a path to follow. Because it’s a bulletin board, and therefore the game is vertical, I used Velcro to allow the playing pieces to travel across the board. Each “Thing” has Velcro on the back and each Candy Land space has a small piece of Velcro above it.


I replaced the traditional characters of Candy Land with some favs from picture books: Pigeon as King Candy, Olivia as Grandma Nutt, Babymouse as Princess Lolly, Fancy Nancy as Queen Florentine, Pete the Cat as Lord Licorice, Scaredy Squirrel as Gloppy and Curious George as Plumpy. Piggy and Elephant are in place of the two kids holding hands at the starting line and I used Thing 1 and Thing 2, etc as playing pieces. I wanted more kids to be able to play so I doubled the number of playing pieces from 4 to 8.


The final task was creating the Candy Land Cards. I cut up a piece of White poster board into 3x2 inch pieces and used those color dot stickers that we no longer use on the spines of books, to create the deck of cards. There wasn’t a place to put them on the board so kids can ask at the desk for the cards, as noted on the game board itself.

I hope this inspires you to get create and do some fun interactive bulletin boards in the coming months!

- Michelle Johnson @ CEN

1 comment: