This was a new program that I am very excited to start but, as I am currently in transition, am unable to get up and running at the moment. I figure many of you may be interested in starting this program at your locations.
When I thought of this program, I wanted a program that required minimal prep, would not stress staffing level, and would be a program that I could offer on Saturdays, and any staff member could take over if needed. This program also addresses the gap in reading-based programming for children who are too old for storytime.
My vision for this program is to create a safe and relaxing environment for kids to enjoy a read-a-loud story done by the facilitator. The last 10 minutes of this 30-minute program would allow kids who want to partake in the read-a- loud to do so. Kids can pass on the opportunity if they choose - there is no read-aloud requirement for participants. If all the kids pass, the facilitator would continue to read to the kids. Like the description stated, this is a no pressure environment. I want the kids to enjoy the program and in doing so develop their listening and comprehension skills as well as foster the love of stories.
The first two books I planned were:
Sideway Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar
Each chapter in this book is a story about one of the students on the 30th floor of Wayside School. I love this book for its wacky, silly stories. The great thing about this book is that the kids will not be lost if they missed the previous meeting. We had an opportunity to read this book to kids during Camp Houston and it went very well so I know this would be a great first book for this program.
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein (or any other title in the series)
This book contains numerous long and short poems that all have an element of the absurd. Patience Agholor and I passed this book around to the kids during one of our down time sessions of Camp Houston. We sat in a circle and the book was passed around. Whoever had the book had a moment to look through it and pick a poem to read out loud. I think the youngest kid we had in the circle was about 5-6 yrs old and he had no problem picking out a short poem to read. The thing to remember about this part of the session is to let the kids read and figure out the words themselves. We are not looking over their shoulders. We do not pressure them to read.
Other Book Ideas:
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (series) by Alvin Schwartz …great for October Meetings
Homer Price by Robert McCloskey contains 6 short stories about Homer’s adventures in his small town and would be a good fit for this style of program.
Do you have any suggestions for books that would be great to read for this program?
Please comment with your ideas.
Do let me know if you end up doing this program at your location and how it went.
- Nhu @ STE/Currently at PAR & BRA
That sounds like a great idea. I would love to try this in addition to my regular book club for tweens. Thanks for presenting it. Leona
ReplyDeletePlease do share how it goes and what book(s) you end up using.
DeleteI love this idea. I'm wondering if there is a way we could incorporate it into our After School Zone programming here.
ReplyDeleteI'm not familiar with the ASZ programming rotation at your location, but some thoughts that popped in my head...
Delete1) having the program once a week meeting on the same day each week ( which is great, because you will have kids who consistently come at the same time every week)
2) (usually is ASZ is two hours) if you do crafting or a STEM program on a certain day and it's only about an hour or so, the second half of the two hour can be the Reading Circle.
I really love this idea. Are you encouraging older kids to come to this program as well to maybe provide one on one support for the younger ones?
ReplyDeleteThis comment was posted by Ariel.
DeleteMy original idea was to have this program aimed at ages 5 to 10,11 (Elementary School since the books will be at that age level).
DeleteHowever, if older kids show up and are interested, I would not turn them away. Yes, I would encourage peer support, but let it evolve naturally rather than be a forced task.
Though, if you have a group of older kids ready and willing to provide one on one support for younger readers, I think that would make for a great program.