After seeing an ALSC blog post that mentioned a cool-looking unplugged coding program that used a taped grid and paper, I wanted to try a similar program at PLE to introduce the kids at ASZ to coding concepts. I chose a Mario theme for the program because all the Mario games are pretty popular at PLE and the characters and world are pretty easily recognized by most kids.
Also, there are lots of ideas and tutorials for Mario props on Pinterest. I used paper lanterns, pipe cleaners, and paper to make the Bob-ombs and the Chain Chomp. I covered the cardboard boxes with red construction paper to serve as brick walls and used cardboard for the coins and their stands. The flag is made from a cheap dowel rod and a painted Styrofoam ball. For each "playable character," I made a visor hat (or crown) from cardstock and elastic and then made a corresponding flag that attached using Velcro circles to the flag pole.
For the program, the kids partnered up, with one person being the player and the other the character. The player used the printed directional arrows and commands (start, action, stop) to create a program and then read it out loud, having the character move through the grid and interact with the different elements according to that program.
The kids really liked it, though we did run into some issues. For one, I think there were too many elements on the grid, making it too difficult. Only one person actually got their player all the way to the flag pole. The rest of the players hit the Bob-ombs (they did enjoy acting that out) or were bitten by the Chain Chomp. Because it was kind of difficult, it was also a bit time-consuming. A number of the kids got impatient and started doing other activities (video games, coloring, etc.) and lost interest. For future programs, I'm going to find ways for more kids to be involved at the same time, like having them work in teams, or having two smaller grids and having a race between two teams.
And, using the idea of the grid and the printed arrows and commands, pretty much any theme can be applied. Like Minecraft could be a cool one to use. What are some of your ideas?
- Kristin @ PLE
this look so cool. I love the combination of coding concepts and dramatic play!
ReplyDelete